Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Ghost of Vampire Present by Seleste deLaney


THE GHOST OF VAMPIRE PRESENT BY SELESTE DELANEY

Word Count: 15,000
Heat Level: Smoky
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Decadent


Jocelyn has finally found her knight in shining armor in Chad, and ghosts are the last thing on her mind. Even when one shows up in her bedroom on Christmas Eve, Jocelyn's a bit more concerned about the other guests on the agenda. She'd prefer to never see another vampire, and the ghost tells her to expect not one, but three.


When the one from her past shows up even though he's supposed to be dead, she decides she's dreaming and suffers through the night. By the time dawn breaks, she's not so sure anymore.

But if it's not a dream that means her nightmare is far from over.


***

This is the sequel to 'Of Course I try' and shows Jocelyn happily settled with Chad, who readers will have met briefly in 'Of Course I Try'. I was really looking forward to reading this, and I did enjoy it, but not as much as I thought I would. 

Let me explain why. I still love Ms. deLaney's descriptive writing style, the sex scenes are hot and beautifully written and there are some brilliant action scenes in this story, but I found it confusing. 

I know it is supposed to be confusing because you see the story through Jocelyn's eyes, and with everything that happens to her in one night, no wonder the poor girl is confused, but to me the author didn't give a satisfactory ending. I literally went "What? That's it?" out loud at the end and actually felt cheated at the open ending. Of course it made me wonder what really happened. Did she dream the night or did the events really take place? Is Chad really Mr Nice Guy or are there far more sinister things at play here? No doubt this was the author's intention, but for me personally, it took some of the joy out of the story. 

I believe a longer story is due to be released soon, and I shall look out for it. I would certainly be interested in seeing how it all works out for Jocelyn and Chad, and I liked Jocelyn's no nonsense friend too. 

A solid B from me. It would have been higher with a more satisfactory ending. Of course this may not bother other readers.

B


No comments:

Post a Comment